Wednesday, March 21, 2007

sweet mooves

"alright, you're all set... ready to go out?"
i nearly busted up laughing as i turned to see my reflection. there, staring back at me was, well, not exactly me. instead, there stood a large cow standing on two feet. it sported a red tshirt saying "eat mor chiken," and although it was hard to believe, i indeed was inside that suit.
i had made it known to my management staff that i really wanted to work the cow suit, and they quickly fulfilled my desire. you see, it was something that i put on my list of things to do in life. what is better than wearing a cow suit and dancing like crazy til the cows go home (no pun intended)? in my mind, not much could beat that. i even practiced dance moves and thought of things that would just be hilarious to see a cow do.
so, when i found out that i would be working the cow suit, i was so stoked--i told all of my friends that i would be dancing it up on gridley street in a cow suit on friday, and of course they told me that they would be there with cameras in hand.
well, my shift wasn't until later that day, so i decided to drive down gridley and see where the cow working the shift before me was stationed. i turned onto gridley street and went all the way down the street, and by the time i got to the next corner, i counted a total of three chick-fil-a cows out there. how in the world would my friends know which cow was me?
this posed a problem. i needed something distinct that would make my friends say, "that cow is SO stina." my solution: my super sweet (and completely ridiculous) dance moves should be enough to set me apart from the other cows.

i think we as christians deal with the same issue. i guess you could say that just by being human and living in today's society, we are all matching cows walking down the street. however, there is a problem with that. God calls us to be more than just any ordinary bovine. What good will it do His kingdom if we blend in with everybody else, failing to shine His light to others or be an example that makes people wonder why we are the way we are? If you live your life in a loud-for-God manner, people are going to notice, and people are going to ask why.

a teacher at my high school once said that if someone who really knows you, whether a friend or family member, doesn't believe in God, you should take that kind of personally. they should be able to see God in the way you live life, through the ways that set you apart and make you more than ordinary.

through displaying love, patience, kindness, forgivness, and all the other fruits described in galtians 5, we spread the love and light of God to others--galatians 5 tells us how to dance so that His light shines! go ahead, i challenge you, be that dancing cow that makes people wonder "why?" and stirs up a desire for them to know the God that makes you dance.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same manner way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

let your light shine, that they may see your sweet dance moves and praise God...
be that dancing cow that makes a difference, and live out loud for God.

No comments: